Above was my last car. A Chrysler Sebring 2006 that I bought in 2007 and discarded in 2017.
I didn't use it a lot at the end (dusty).
It was a convenient car specially for traveling from Quebec to the USA during summer trips (usually 10 days: 2 weekends / 1 week / USA east coast).
When I was looking to buy a car at that time, I was targeting a Chrysler 300 (black color) but it was 10k$ more. I'm not a car fan so I didn't want to spend this money for that. Also I never bought a car new!
I remember the first song I played after leaving the car saler. It was The Sopranos opening song “Woke Up This Morning”. It was a sunny day without a cigar!
Even before I dropped this car, I was using Uber and Lyft since it was more useful, time saving and more economical (e.g. insurance, parking, fuel, maintenance, immatriculation).
I also tried electric scooter rentals (e.g. Lime, Jump) which I really enjoy except for one thing. Find one when I need it!
I was in mind to buy an electric personal transporter one day and Onewheel+ XR came as my top 1!
So I bought one on Wednesday July 15, 2020.
I could also buy a Bigwheel but in my midlife age, it will be a little bit awkward !!!
I'm not a lightweight so I chose the biggest version (Onewheel+ XR).
Here is the Specs / Info:
- Range: 12-18 miles / 19-29 Kilometers
- Top Speed: 19 mph / 30.5 Kilometers
- Rider weight limit of 275lb / ~125kg
- Stop on a dime
- App Connected
- Regenerative Braking: Onewheels have Regenerative Braking which gives your Onewheel battery extra juice while you brake/slow down, especially going down hill
- Up / Down hills supported
- Onewheels+ XR can go off-road and can tackle almost any terrain. Dirt, sand, grass, gravel, shredding trails
How does it work?
Almost like a skateboard!
The main difference is we need to lean the Onewheel (front/back) to select the direction we want.
It's very stable. There are 2 detectors (left/right) in the front footpad and the Onewheel will start when the 2 detectors are pressed. Otherwise it will stop. If we want to break, we just need to be in "high heels" mode, partial lift up the front foot and it will stop.
There is a mobile app with some options:
- Toggle lights
- Digital Shaping modes allow you to customize your board’s ride feel through the Onewheel App. You can adjust top speed, responsiveness, and handling to best suit your riding level and environment.
- Notification: Battery level (50%/25%)
After one week trying to masterize this device, I created the video above.
The first week was not easy, I fell so many times but it was funny!
My experience after more than one year. No regret, I really like it!
I use my OneWheel to do my shopping with my backpack. To do random rides when it's a sunny day which gives me free vitamin D (it seems to be more important now with the current situation). I also use this one to discover the city.
Last week, I wanted to change the tires. On their website, there is an option to switch tires and other supports / services. After buying, I received a Fedex shipment paper by email, shipped my Onewheel to Fedex and received this one with a new wheel one week after.
If the company creates a new model (better), I'll buy one!
Thanks for reading,